Tuesday 30 August 2011

Miranda, Football and Food

No one can touch me now. Not Michael, that fat ogre who is hell bent on bullying me or Father Peter who is a real ass. Anyway, I’m far away from class 5 D now. I wonder if everyone sitting around me was paying attention. Jacob certainly wasn’t. He looks like he’s going to cry at any moment.
“Okay boys, turn to page 37 and start learning the Litany of Our Lady. There’s an exam next week and you need to know the entire thing by then! So let’s get to it!”

“Lord have mercy [Lord have mercy]
Christ have mercy [Christ have mercy]
Queen of Heaven [Pray for us]
Tower of Ivory [Pray for us]
Queen of…….”

I should just ask her the way to someplace… but where? I have to talk to here. Miranda was the prettiest girl I’ve ever seen. Since the first time I saw her, I’ve caught exactly one hundred and forty two times of my brain freezing , my heart pumping and my hands sweating it out inside my pockets. It was strange that I felt that way because she never even knew I have been checking her out or maybe she did? I would like to think so. Anyway, once I was in class, especially Catechism class, I always pictured myself walking with her on a quiet beach somewhere far away. I would look up and I could see her light brown eyes looking down at me and I knew at that moment , that there was nothing else that mattered but she – my Miranda…

*

“You could have just passed the ball you selfish nut!!”
“But I didn’t see you!!” “I thought you were on the other team.”
“You thought too much!”
I can’t believe we actually lost the Cup final because of Simon’s selfishness. He doesn’t pass the ball, he doesn’t share his tiffin. He is just selfish. In my head I had pictured everything. Simon running down the side with the ball glued to his feet, all the defenders running to him like wolves and me [the supposed goal scorer] waiting for him to pass. I’m still waiting, the game was over, the Cup had been lifted by the opponent and I was still waiting. Stupid, selfish Simon. Destroyed my thunder.

*

It was like a forest of food. Wherever I looked, I saw food and people serving them. As I had my first bite of a tuna sandwich, my eyes were already set on the garlic noodles at the far end of the table. So much food! I actually made the sign of the Cross and thanked God for food festivals, especially the ones I get invited to. As I moved on to the noodles my mind was thinking “how would black Forrest with vanilla ice cream taste?” As I expected, it tasted heavenly. My first mouth of it sent a…
“Why are you drooling”? You’re supposed to be memorizing the Litany!!!”
[Coughs] I’m …. I’m sorry... I’m not drooling Father, I just have a bad cough…”
“Then get back to it…”
[Bell rings]
That was such a boring class! The Litany doesn’t seem to end. I check my time-table and the next period is Math. Great, but then maybe this time Miranda will get me through it or if she doesn’t I can always move on to my food festival…

No comments:

Post a Comment